View Single Post
Old 05-04-2019, 01:18 PM
155mm
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2014

Originally Posted by SawDustMaker View Post
I have a PPL glider endorsement.
I have logged about 300 hours. Lots of cross county as I did quite a bit of competition flying.
I am interested in transitioning to power.
Can I use any of my hours towards my power rating?

I am also thinking of purchasing something like a cherokee 180 to train in and build hours.
How do you think I will be treated by the insurance companies at first?

Are there any accelerated flight schools that will allow you to use your own aircraft?

Thanks
Go to a local flight school and start taking lessons! If you own your own airplane, hire a private instructor. Your glider time will count for some ratings but more importantly, get the private pilot single engine land add-on. You'll need to get a third class medical as well.

I get nervous when people mention, "accelerated flight schools". It's more important to get quality instruction that will make you a safe pilot than ratings from diploma mills.

Also, after you get your add-on, get the tow pilot sign off and high performance sign off. The glider club should keep you busy unless you have a winch. Much of your total time should count towards a commercial license. You can read FAR 61 for the details but that's a topic for another day.

Good luck!

Last edited by 155mm; 05-04-2019 at 01:28 PM.