View Single Post
Old 05-05-2019, 02:38 PM
Fly Casual
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2019
Default Zero IP Time and Need Career Advice

I'm nearing a decision point and looking for some advice on my next career move.

I'm currently active duty Air Force stationed overseas with just over a year left until my DEROS ends and I must either extend or PCS. Also, my service commitment ends in just over 2.5 years. My end goal is to fly for one of the majors (ideally Delta, American, or Southwest based on domiciles) and fly part time in the Air Force reserves/guard. I'm not sure which of those two goals is more important to me at the time. As I have switched airframes, I only have about 2,000 total hours, 500 PIC, and zero IP/EP. I'll continue to work towards IP, but based on what I've seen at my squadron, getting to IP any time soon in my current plane will be a bit of a crapshoot based on available slots, seniority, and my own flying skills. As I see it, I have 3 options to push for and can't decide what will make me more competitive for both the airlines and a reserve/guard gig:

Option 1: Extend at my overseas location. If my extension gets approved, this would be the easiest option in terms of not moving again before I put in separation paperwork. My two biggest concerns are potentially not upgrading to IP (or having low IP time) and being overseas while job-hunting for a post-active duty career. Regardless of it I upgrade to IP, I could still reasonably expect to get another 500-600 PIC hours before I separate if I do this option.

Option 2: PCS to a stateside base. My home life will probably suffer, as I will likely get sent to an unfavorable location where I would deploy a lot. Otherwise, it would look similar to Option 1. However, I would be stateside for any job interviews, etc.

Option 3: Try to get a UPT instructor slot. This would guarantee that I both get to be stateside and get to rack up IP time. UPT locations aren't the best but I would be home most nights. Also, the way I read the new ADSC regulations (AFI 36-2107), I would only gain a 1-year ADSC based on an OCONUS to CONUS PCS. My concern with this option is that I would likely be blackballed in my current flying squadron and miss out on good flying opportunities, MWS IP upgrades, etc. Also, I'm not sure how it would look if I show up as a new UPT IP and put in separation paperwork within the first year.

I think that Options 1 & 2 would make more competitive to a reserve/guard squadron flying a similar plane, but I'm not sure about how it may look if I take Option 3.

Which of these options puts me in a more favorable position for major airline hiring?

Also, does anyone have experience applying to the majors while overseas and can speak to any concerns this might present?