Thread: Empire airlines
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2019, 11:45 PM
Redbeard
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2015

Originally Posted by deskflier View Post
Does empire use their own checkairman or use flight safety’s in house DE’s for the type ride? If it’s flight safety’s in-house; ask around about the atr pass rate. It’s your career and your record be informed.

They use Flight Safety's people for everything. I didn't know until I got to Houston, but apparently before I started (over a year ago) they had about an 80% fail rate, at least for Ohana side, not sure if that was fedex side as well. Empire sent some management down to Houston to observe some rides and since then, it seems that they are just letting anyone through.

The ATR (so I've been told) is probably the hardest type rating you'll get. I think some of that high fail rate was due to jet guys coming in thinking a turboprop will be easy and surprise surprise, it's not. You actually have to fly it and use a 6 pack When you get a V1 cut without auto feather there is this huge prop making a lot of drag and its not easy to manage(who would of thought) But really its not that hard if you come in ready to learn and work hard. You will have to do a lot of reading and learning outside of ground, so just don't screw around during training and you'll be fine.