View Single Post
Old 05-06-2019, 04:25 AM
Buckinfantastic
On Reserve

Joined APC: Nov 2018

I also went to Delta State for the MCA. In my experience, it has helped to open the door to higher paying jobs in general (I'm in operations). That said, having 12 years of experience in operations is what sealed the deal- the MCA would be fairly useless without the experience I think.

For a pilot looking to pivot into management or non-line flying jobs, it could be helpful although I think that an MBA from a reputable school would be more useful (and a lot more expensive, unfortunately) simply because it increases the number of industries you could apply it to.

As a fellow double degree in aviation person, I have to agree that it is positively useless outside of aviation. I do a lot of training and curriculum development work as well as having a good amount of management experience and of 100+ applications I put out outside of aviation (for curriculum development work) I got precisely one interview for a position that they wanted to offer me at half of what I was making in aviation.

Unfortunately, aviation degrees do seem to pigeonhole you. If I had it to do over again I would have gone for the MBA.

If you do decide to do the MCA, my review of the program is that it was adequate. I went to UVU for UG and the MCA really didn't cover anything we didn't learn there. In my opinion, the program is the literal definition of "checking the box".