View Single Post
Old 05-06-2019, 02:40 PM
baseball
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2013

Originally Posted by PDRit
I’ve seen pilots with thousands of hours that are bad pilots. Hours is but one factor.

I think in an odd way you made a good point. It's not HOURS. Hopefully those that are doing the interviewing get that. It's a combination of quality experience (which is a factor of time in the seat and years in the profession), and decision-making.

The more time in the left seat equates to more opportunities to make both good and bad decisions. Accountability, responsibility, emergencies, irregular operations, charters, etc. All of that Captain - left seat time adds up to opportunities to succeed and fail. learn and get better.

We truly want CAPTAINS who have been CAPTAINS, and who can relate to and respond to the role of Captain.

No need in hiring FO's from the regionals who haven't upgraded and had an opportunity to better themselves as professional pilots.

Let the process work. Let maturity and matriculation occur. Let them get better. Let them be MORE READY for a major airline when the call comes.

The country club casual people in HR (not only in our HR but others) will never understand this.

Bonus: When it's time for them to upgrade, that process will be much smoother.

Most FO's are better pilots than Captains. Their scan is tighter and reflexes a bit quicker. It's not about hiring better pilots. It's about hiring the experience that only comes from experienced pilots. We could pay X for a new hire regional FO, or we could pay X for a Captain qualified pilot who has paid his/her dues and who is ready for the next logical step in the profession.

Makes sense to hire the Captain qualified pilot who has a proven track record of safe operations and who has passed a few more check rides and who has had to prove themselves competent leaders and qualified airman. Civilian or military equivalent works for me.