Thread: Tool of the day
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2019, 12:28 PM
crewdawg
Super Moderator

Joined APC: Jul 2006

Originally Posted by flensr View Post
Sorry to dispute your experience but that just about summarizes my Delta interview...
Originally Posted by 80ktsClamp View Post
The interview looks a lot at how you react to things. Get defensive and close up? You're not gonna do well.
^^^this right here! I get that it seems stupid that they'd even ask questions about high school GPAs/no failed UPT rides. But it's their game and their ball, it's all about your answers and how you explain yourself. I had terrible (sub 3.0) GPAs in high school/college and it was never even addressed...could have just been the interviewers I got that day. If you get defensive or dismissive about it, it won't end well. Explain to them that you were working two jobs to pay your way through college and use that time to talk about how it made you better. Heck, even saying you were young/foolish and had misplaced priorities, then showcasing how you turned that around...it will likely end up mo betta. Either way, my point was simply having a bad GPA isn't going to keep you from the job, I am a testament to that.

Be humble and answer every question by owning up to mistakes and explaining what you learned, will go a long way. I too was asked if I really only hooked one ride in UPT...I laughed and said I was a great negotiator in the debrief. I then explained my hook it tweets and how I fixed it.

Originally Posted by flensr View Post
Spirit and SWA interviews were polar opposites of Delta. Half an hour chatting about flying, then go over the logbook to find some more flying stories to chat about. When can you start? Totally different approach.
I actually couldn't agree more. My AAL interview was infinitely more fun/relaxed and less stressful than my DAL interview...two totally different styles of interview. If I had chosen which airline to go to based simply on the interview, I'd still be at AAL. It is what it is, but I can assure you that DALs interview structure is nowhere near a reflection of the culture on the line.