View Single Post
Old 05-10-2019, 06:16 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Erj135dude View Post
That skywest-expressjet enmity is something for sure, geez.

So in your opinion Rickair7777, someone from skywest and someone from expressjet, both with same times and similar backgrounds, should have about the same opportunities in the future, without limiting themselves because of their regionals' reputation.
Yes, that's the reality. Major airlines don't care about regional intramural affairs, and neither do major pilots unless you're on a scab list. I know some XJT pilots would like to fantasize otherwise

Actually I admit that I don't like the alter-ego pilots, since they cost me back in the day. If I were interviewing, I would blackball any of them, but folks of my generation probably won't be in a position to do that until it's too late.

The vast majority of angry lost generation pilots who have made it to the majors are still junior FO's, very few are CA's, and even fewer are involved in interviewing. The older guys are oblivious to it all, and managers don't care. Actually managers do care... they DO NOT want entry-level pilots to be afraid to work for any particular regional. They'll do flow if it's suits their purposes, but they will never "blacklist" any regional pilot group.

I'm talking about applying and interviewing OTS, if you're picking a regional you should consider flow programs of course, but those are contractual, has nothing to do with your "reputation".

Anecdotally though, SWA recruiting really likes Skywest pilots. I was told that by SWA pilots, and also recruited by them (took another job so I could drive to work). I think it's more cultural than anything else. May also be due to having a "critical mass" of OO pilots at SWA... lot's of internal recs.