View Single Post
Old 05-10-2019, 05:51 PM
BrownDoubles
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2017

Originally Posted by Jrey78 View Post
I have a question about getting my ATP. I'm a F/A-18 / F-35 guy for the Navy, meet all the wickets for the majors with the exception of my ATP. I don't know much about the airlines because up until now, I haven't placed much consideration into making it a career choice post retirement. So I pose a dumb question that hopefully you much more informed, intelligent, and experienced pilots may talk me out of.

Reading around it would seem that a job with a regional feeder, e.g. PSA, will pay for your ATP and subsequently flow their pilots to the AA. It also would seem that through compensation, first year pay would be that of year one FO pay at AA. What I don't know is:

1. Could a pilot meeting the requirements for a major airline, then flow through their feeder, say in like a few months or do you have to wait a few years?
2. As far as pay is concerned, would there be credit given for time "served" at the regional? Say FO year 2 pay vice the year 1 pay jumping from a PSA to AA?

Just curious.
What Hacker said... plus:

Formal flow at the AAL owned regionals are conducted in seniority order; so the answer to your question is years, not exactly educated on the topic these days but at least 7-8 would be my guess. There are thousands upon thousands of individuals flying at every airline that "meet the requirements for a major airline" and you are competing against all of them for the same jobs.

There is no "credit" for time served at a carriers regional with regards to pay or seniority.

One other thing to think about should you choose to select the regional route. You probably decrease your chances of being hired by the legacy carrier whose flag you fly under at the regional. First, they would prefer to hire someone else and keep their regional staffed. Second, they have to train two people when they hire you (you and a person to replace you at the regional).

Think about what your resume is lacking and try to fill in the gaps; read it like they are going to read it. I would aim high and work down from there casting a wider net every few months until the phone rings. A few other words of advice: try not to commute; and it's not all about pay -- work rules are well worth a few dollars an hour.

After a few weeks on reserve at a regional airline you will have wished you paid for an ATP; I would advise you to avoid it if you can!!

Best wishes.