Thread: Premium
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2019, 05:58 PM
av8or
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2006
Position: This side of the dirt.

Originally Posted by OTZeagle1 View Post
We all tend to be machiavellian at heart. I have never voted yes on a contract, I never will. I am already a no vote and I have yet to see the junk they are about to throw at me. We don’t have a union, RLA takes care of that. We have an overpriced social club, dues I gladly pay. I expect nothing, yet am continually let down. With my no vote securely cast, the new contract will still pass with at least 65% approval. When I finally see the next catastrophe, I will pour over it and yes I will devour it for my own benefit. I will share my understandings, few will follow. Then I will be berated for making too much money. They will all label me a selfish company man, with the same breath they will celebrate my contemporaries that do the same as me at DAL and LUV, they parade them as champions
That didn’t really answer my question if this has always been your approach or if it was a response to what you perceived as weak union leadership/negotiations so decided at some point, “Dmn the Union, dmn contract negotiations, dmn this whole unity bs, I’m getting all I can for me.”

I certainly don’t blame you for making the most of the contract we have. To not do so is pretty stupid. And, I get your cynicism toward negotiations here. It seems most long time AS’rs fall into one of three categories, A “Union and negotiations are pointless so, I’m grabbing all I can, all the time.” B. Ambivalent cynicism where ya take what they give you and disengage believing nothing will change, ever... so why even try. C. A remnant of believers that, given the new dynamics of VX’rs, new pilots hired have been a part of winning good contracts, the competition for qualified pilots etc, if we can get 51-60% to unify and fight, we’ve actually got a shot.

I just wondered if you’d always found yourself in A group or that changed over time.,