View Single Post
Old 05-11-2019, 11:48 AM
JustAnFO
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2018
Position: 737 FO

Originally Posted by Oklaviator View Post
I’m considering applying to FX after almost 6 years with SW. My reasons are better commuting options and variety in flying. Obviously there are other reasons too. Widebody, international and so on....

Currently, I live in domicile and don’t like the city. There isn’t a SW domicile my wife or I want to live in. We want to live in our hometown. I am going to commute regardless of the company. This may sound crazy but life is too short to live away from family.

Flying the 737 domestically quite frankly is boring. No variety in flying. Our overnights continue to get shorter and shorter and the trip density is high. I block over 700 hours a year.

I’m looking for a change, but I obviously know it would be a monumental move. I would be starting over and losing the seniority I already have at SW.

Anyone with similar experience or prospective I would appreciate opinions.

No similar experience, but I’m right there with you. SWA flying is a boring grind. My other half is a FedEx 757 FO, and after less than 3 years, is in the top 15%, and flies 2/3 LESS than I do for almost the same money I made as an FO. Once I figure out the magic to getting past the interview invite computer, I’ll jump.

You’ll have plenty of co-hearts tell you you’re crazy for leaving, but they probably are unaware of how the outside world has changed since they got hired (typical of the company as a whole.) SWA used to be the “brass ring” of pilot jobs in the US for many, but other jobs have long since surpassed it.

Best of luck! Get that app fired up yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk