View Single Post
Old 05-11-2019, 01:23 PM
kronan
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: 757 Capt

There are a lot of different niches. Domestic, Canada\Mexico\Northern Cone coming back (reportedly). 777 with long legs and big bucks for the block override. RFO trips DH'ing all over the world with the flight attendants pouring a bottomless glass.

Only know one guy who left FedEx for UAL, and that was because he couldn't hang with the Nights.

Nights are way different at FedEx now as compared to back then. Now, we have a lot more sleep rooms as well as a wakeup call program. So, if you have an 0200 show, FDX will take the responsibility of waking you up appropriately versus you setting an alarm for 0150 (or as your heart desires). And if there's weather, or a ton of volume and the Sort's going down late...well, they'll wake you up at an appropriate time. Last freezing rain event I got shacked with in Memphis I hit a sleep room at 1130 and CRS called me about 7AM to send me out to the jet.

There are folks who fly nothing but Days.

But there are more opportunities to get paid to commute with a DH for night hub turns.

Lot less flying.
A 75 guy who's working hard at FedEx will probably have 30-45 landings in the look back.

Or, if you move to Memphis you might be able to score a lot of CH's and have a landing lookback in the 5-12 range. I once flew with an Airbus Capt who sat nothing but B reserve and his look back was a whopping 2 landings. (yes, I asked, and yes, I told him to just take both legs)