Thread: DAL Class drops
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2019, 05:59 PM
notEnuf
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2015
Position: stake holder ir.delta.com

Originally Posted by Baradium View Post
I didn't do long call from home, but I sat long call much more than short call. I get that you're the grass is always brown type, but your expose is a bit high on the "life is horrible here" side.

What I personally did was put all my reserve days together in a big block. Take half the month off and the other half be within the leash. Every 3-4 days scheduling would give me a day and a half off to reset me to have 4 day availability (they get to choose your days off for that but it also gives you free extra days off). West coast you could commute those times if you really wanted to I guess. The 30 hours rest gives you 40 hours you know you don't have to be in domicile as you have a 10 hour reduced report when you're immediately back if on your schedule far enough in advance.

The grass if you can find it in NYC is always brown. The mythical bearded reservist exists but not in NYC and definitely not a new hire. In base with strategic bidding and moving of X days provides long stretches with the phone not ringing, sometimes you wonder if the strange area code that pops up is scheduling stealthily seeing if you’re in position.

Half the month is a not time off that can be planned. 12 X and 18 on call is the norm. Of the X days only 6 are immovable. And only 3 groupings can start with a * (or golden day off) Oh and crew tracking the people who are the ones who try to extend you into those days apparently “don’t know” and you have to get the duty pilot involved if you really want that day off. Green grass? Maybe, because the use a lot of sh*t to fertilize it. Noobs shouldn’t expect a cross country commute to work on long call, but hey it’s sill the best job you’ll ever have and yours to screw up... or not.

Honestly, every reserve more senior to the plug is making sure the plug has it the worst because that means they are doing better. Reserve gets good after you can hold a line and don’t have to do reserve. By then you have it figured out and apply that knowledge.