View Single Post
Old 05-12-2019, 07:04 AM
e6bpilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2013

I will pile on. The answer is that it depends.

As was stated above, when you have one giant fleet, there is a big menu of flying to go with that. Some of that varies by base, but mostly not.

We are mainly divided into AM and PM shifts with some mid day bleed over since our flying days have become so long. There are currently no scheduled flights that cross the 2-4am boundary (local time), although in the summer it may happen on a delay. I mainly fly PMs because my body does much better and I feel much better waking up without an alarm and having a few hours to adjust before flying late. Some do better with AM flying....it just isn’t for me.

So, on a typical day, I will report at 3-4pm, fly two to three legs, and get to the overnight in between 10 and midnight. That’s typical. There are also plenty of trips that fly one medium leg and get in earlier or have a longer overnight. It’s all in what you want to fly.

For me, if I am flying a regular, straight time trip, I prefer an easy, low block, 19.5tfp 3 day that has long overnights and or is commutable. I find that it results in one of two outcomes - either a relaxing and fun trip that I can commute both ends, or it opens me up to reroutes and move ups where I can make a lot of extra money. Either way I am good with it because like whack, I am at work to make money, not hang out in airports and stare at people.

If I am flying the rare premium open time trip or something of the sort, I want high block, dense days with lots of overfly and maximum deadheads.

To each their own. We have a varied menu here. One good thing I will say is most of us identify as either an “AMer” or a “PMer”. I think that results in better circadian management and less fatigue when those trips go as scheduled. Since I do occasionally fly both, I can tell you that they are essentially two different airlines as far as the people and stress level goes.