View Single Post
Old 05-14-2019, 09:57 AM
captjns
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: B-737NG preferably in first class with a glass of champagne and caviar

Originally Posted by Diesel8 View Post
Reverse your percentages and that is more of the true picture.

The issues that are going on are industry wide, not just at Atlas/Southern.

I was just on a Delta Airlines flight and on landing we were all over the place and had to do a go-around, "for traffic on the runway". Yeah right. How sad... and frightening.

Fear - is if the "pilot" has to fly the aircraft with the autopilot off greater than 200' off the ground. I see too many people that if the autopilot would pack up it will be an emergency situation. VNAV is used in all situations as there is the fear that they will not be able to remember to slow down to 250 kts below 10,000'.

Sick and tired of hearing excuses that the airspace is too complex for hand flying. B*llsh*t! The airway structure has not changed from the days of flying the Classic out of VHHH with a FD, HSI, RMI, and the mighty Carousel IVA. The only thing that has changed is that the tolerances have tightened up. As long as your instrumentation is up to those tolerances you should have no problem. Nowadays you don't even have to tune a radio!

My responsibility is the safe operation of aircraft, period end of story. I endeavor to do the upmost to this goal. That means dealing with a crumbling maintenance infrastructure, clownage in the training department, a complete lack of morale, among other things, and yes, difficult, petulant children in the cockpit - oops "Flight Deck"

End rant.

Flame away, children.
I’ve flown with individuals who probably have never made a turn in the jet. 400’ Autopilot “A” on departure... 500’ Autopilot disconnect and CFIT the jet onto the runway.

Last edited by captjns; 05-14-2019 at 10:22 AM.