View Single Post
Old 05-15-2019, 01:12 PM
HornetTexaco
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2019
Default Navy NFO to Major Airline Thread

Hoping to use this space for former/current NFOs who are either at the majors, or trying to get there. Marine Corps/Air Force WSO-type brothers and sisters welcome.

If you are a former NFO (or similar) currently at the majors, could you please post a bit about your background, the route you took to land that dream job, and any other pertinent details you think would be helpful for those following in your footsteps.

If you are a hopeful, post some stats about yourself, your career, and how things are going for you.

Respectfully, I am not looking for a lecture on what flight times people should or should not be logging.

This should be a place for constructive suggestions, helping a fellow service member work toward their goals, and networking.

I'll start. Former S-3 guy, here. Had my multi-engine before joining the Navy. Went through the "Super NFO" program. Logged any military time that I had flight controls in front of me as either SIC or "Other" for my multi and total times.

I did NOT log a single minute of my time flying as Part 1 PIC, and I maintained an entirely separate logbook that was limited to military time with flight controls.

I have about 500 hours turbine Captain/PIC from a prior 121 job before leaving the industry for a non-flying career. I've been back at a regional as an FO for about a year now.

Approximate current stats:

ATP (unrestricted)
TT: 2500
ME: 2250
Jet: 1100
Tprop: 1100
Part 121: 1350
More than 1 PIC type-rating

I've had my apps in to the majors for about four months with no bites yet, and working on fine-tuning at this point.

Best of luck to all of us in our endeavors.

Mods, if we could keep this in the Majors section, I would appreciate it.