View Single Post
Old 05-15-2019, 08:29 PM
BMEP100
Banned

Joined APC: May 2014
Position: Tom’s Whipping boy.

Originally Posted by Excargodog View Post
https://www.consumerreports.org/diet...r-with-kratom/

Update: On April 3, the Food and Drug Administration released the final results of heavy metals testing on 30 kratom products, following up on an initial announcement made in November. "The analysis found significant levels of lead and nickel at concentrations that exceed safe exposure for oral daily drug intake," the agency said in a statement. "Based on these test results, the typical long-term kratom user could potentially develop heavy metal poisoning, which could include nervous system or kidney damage, anemia, high blood pressure, and/or increased risk of certain cancers." (The full list of tested products and results is available online.)

Scientists from the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) found dangerously high levels of heavy metals, including lead, in kratom products, the agency announced on November 27.

Kratom is an herbal substance that some consumers use to treat pain, mood disorders such as anxiety and depression, and addiction, as well as to ease opioid withdrawal.

Previously, the FDA warned that components of kratom act like opioids and that certain kratom products were highly contaminated with salmonella, prompting a mandatory recall. Now, the FDA is warning consumers that regular use of some of these products could lead to heavy-metal poisoning, which can cause a variety of serious health problems.

MORE ON KRATOM
Salmonella Outbreak in Kratom Products
The Dangers of Taking Kratom
“The findings identifying heavy metals in kratom only strengthen our public health warnings around this substance, and concern for the health and safety of Americans using it,” FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb said in a statement.

Kratom’s legal status is currently in limbo, with bans and restrictions in place in some states. Federally, the FDA says, the substance can’t currently be legally marketed as a drug or a supplement. The Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) previously announced plans to list the active ingredients in the plant as Schedule I substances, like cannabis or LSD, which would make all forms of kratom illegal nationwide. But the agency temporarily reversed that decision and has not yet made a final announcement. (The DEA now lists kratom as a “drug of concern.”)
Sounds like you are a google expert now on it, and carrying the FDA water for them..

To be fair when I first heard of it, I was equally taken in by the FDA and other more anecdotal stories about it. Until I actually started reading the science on it from actual studies done by scientists and universities. One thing I found was that it does not affect the receptor (either kappa or delta) that affects repspiratory system, like opiates...which is why there never has been a death reported that was attributable to UNADULTERATED Kratom, taken by itself. When you actually drill down on every death, you find there were opioids in the system of the victim as well as other drugs. Usually stoners experimenting mixing drugs with Kratom for greater high effects. You’ll have to read all thes stuff in the link I posted. (Daunting task), but good for rainy day layovers.
That’s why opioids kill, it suppresses respiratory nerves, person just stops breathing.

What Kratom really needs is regulation, like other supplements, including gmp and testing, so those occasional instances of bacteria or heavy metals don’t find their way into the products as has happened a few times. Three state have recently enacted laws to protect Kratom and require gmp and testing. More will follow as the science wins out over hysteria and the DEA looking to replace the Marijuana bogey man, and keep their funding.

In the mean time, it would be ill-advised for a pilot to take it, as it might show up as an opiate in the pee test (maybe..I dunno). But I do want to see my friend Pam be able to continue to have access to it. It has saved her life, and others from what I hear.

She buys only from a known source who does insure purity and test every shipment.

Read the available studies and docs on the links I provided. Hopefully no one you care about will ever have a need to get off pain meds, while relying on the FDA (FAA of medicine world).

Oh, if you don want to bother with all the reading, try watching “Leaf of Faith”.,I think it is on Amazon.

Last edited by BMEP100; 05-15-2019 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Added video ref.