View Single Post
Old 05-16-2019, 05:27 AM
frmrbuffdrvr
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by Mellokeith View Post
Hi Freightdogs,

I have a question about the employment possibilities for FO as I hope to apply with AMF once I have regained IFR proficiency. I live in a small town in NE Oklahoma about an hour away from the Joplin and Fayetteville/Bentonville airports and about 1.5 hours from Tulsa International. I have a little over 500 hours and meet AMF FO requirements. Unlike many people who ask about flying for AMF on this site, I am not looking for a particular base. I am, however, tied to my home and my wife. If AMF will let me jumpseat to bases, I'd be happy to fly wherever I am needed.

Some things I have seen from AMF say, If you live within so far of an airport..., but recently I see stuff that makes it sound like that only applies to captains. It's confusing and a little disheartening.

Does AMF entertain the idea of hiring someone like me (as FO) who will go where needed, but ultimately needs to come home to his family at the end of the week or rotation?
AMF doesn't prohibit "commuting" via jumpseat, but it is discouraged. At the flight time level you describe, you would be assigned to an E120 base. Our E120 runs operate Monday PM to Saturday AM or Monday AM to Friday PM. Neither of these allows much time to jump seat home. And if you don't make it back for your duty assignment, you would be subject to disciplinary action. Unlike some passenger airlines, we don't have a policy where if you have a given number of backup options available and all of them get cancelled then you would be excused.

Sorry if that puts a damper on your plans.