View Single Post
Old 05-17-2019, 07:45 AM
FullFlaps
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2018

I would say stay away from ATP. They have a spaghetti against the wall approach top check rides. The instructors really could care less.

As a guy going through it now I would say find a 141 school with an approved program that gets you through fast and a dpe on staff. See what their pass rate is as a school, this is all public info. Make sure you're comfortable with your instructor and hopefully you get someone with some seasoning at that school.

If you go 61 once again look up their pass rates etc.

I'd look for a mom and pop shop. Usually a few here and there with retired military or airline pilots. Guys with 30 plus years of experience.

If this trade war picks up steam it'll put a wrinkle in aviation demand but from what I gather the international demand for pilots is at an all time high with not enough people in the pipeline, military of civilian, globally.

Also after doing starting this career change personally, don't do it for the money, do it because you live to fly or you will eventually fail. Money is better is management consulting long run if you're any good. If you're mid tier then economics long run roughly the same with a pilot working to 65 vs management consulting to 50.