View Single Post
Old 05-20-2019, 11:36 AM
jtf560
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006

Originally Posted by OhSnapAF View Post
Worst pilot group overall, that I have ever flown with, was at NJA.

In the 2.5 years at my current job, I have flown with maybe 1 or 2 that I would consider putting on the do not fly list. At NJA, it was easily a 50/50 shot on whether to not you would fly with a complete and total wack job or weirdo.

Problem is, the majority of NJA pilots were hired when the airlines were furloughing, so they took all comers. That included people that couldn't pass an airline interview, scabs, and airline furloughs/layoffs. That demographic makes up at least 60% of the pilot group, and a lot never returned/couldn't return to an airline job. Not to say that there aren't weirdos at the airlines, or that only weirdos are attracted to fractional jobs, but there is a common theme. Flex/Flops guys prove that time and time again. Every time I met a long time Flops pilot I wanted to take a shower after, they were so odd, all of them.

NetJets was the first job where I met pilots who were flat earthers. I didn't think a pilot could earn an ATP, and fly long distances, yet completely ignore math, science, and provable fact, but they exist. From staunch racism, fringe extreme political views, odd behavior, guys carrying binders around to show how many law suits they have against the company, people trying to convince you that there are aliens living underground etc. I had never really experienced any of that before NJA.

That being said I met some truly amazing people there and had unforgettably positive tours with them, and I am proud to call them friends to this day. But percentage wise, the number of wackos at NJA was far higher than any other job I had prior, and since.
I do my best to stay away from opinion and keep things fact based- your 50% who you would not want to fly with is either a gross exaggeration or points the finger back to yourself as someone people don't want to spend time flying with, at least for 7 staight days. I've been at NJA for over 13 years and have had exactly 2 pilots I would call in sick for to avoid if necessary. Luckily I was never paired with either again so I never had to resort to that. I'm not denying that there are some whack jobs. Many of them have actually experienced job Darwinism or retirement since you left. You are probably taking a little too much time out of your life to compare your brief time here to the airlines on threads that are supposed to be comparing with another fractional. The airlines are a better deal for the vast majority, but there are quite a few of us that most likely could go to the airlines if that is what we wanted, but after doing the truly abstract calculus that it takes to make the best choice for what is right for us and/ or our families, have decided that this is actually a good enough job with all it's benefits and warts to stick it out. I don't have a problem with calling out lies, but you will probably be a bit happier focusing on all the better things you have at your current job than slamming your former evidently poor choice to work here. Live the glass half full life! I'm happy you got a better deal for you.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk