Thread: schedules
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2007, 08:35 AM
box-hauler
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: back in the right seat 121

At ABX we work a 15 or 16 day month depending on if there are 30 or 31 days in the month. If on reserve you get 14 days off, Line holders get 15. These work days include any layover days on a trip. If you have a 3 days weekend in ICT then those days count as work days. You can do whatever you want on those days. Some guys jump home, some stay.

The lines of time are generally built as 2 blocks of time on with 2 blocks off. There is some variations but that is the general rule.

Our reserve schedule is a FIFO list (first in first out). When you start your block of reserve you are at the bottom of the list. As your number moves up to #1 you get used. After the trip you go back to the bottom. The schedule on reserve is not a constant. Some moths you work a lot some you do not. Some days you get caught up in the R1 loop. You will go in at 8pm and sit a "hot reserve" until 6am. You then go to the bottom of the FIFO list. There are times when you get into this loop of doing 3 or 4 R1 in a row. It all depends on how long the FIFO list is.

Our reserve system has a "sick no charge policy". If you call in sick and they do not have to junior man someone to cover the trip you were on then you do not get charged a sick day (great deal for pilots).

Depending where you live and what aircraft you end up on it can be a great schedule. My opinion is that if you live local you get a lot more days off. You do not know where or when you might go somewhere but the trade off is every day they do not call is another day off.

The KIX (Osaka Japan) domicile is not up and running yet so I cannot comment on the schedules for that. I assume they will have to conform to our line scheduling parameters (15 off). They are still telling us they are going to base crews in Japan, and as a new hire they took back the 2nd year pay, so you would have to try and make it on 1st year pay (good luck). Hope this helps........