View Single Post
Old 05-21-2019, 07:59 AM
TheGreatSantini
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2019
Position: 4000+ hours TT, 700 NVG

As much as I'm hoping for the best, this SSR will not make any difference. It will likely make things worse. I'm happy we got it, but it wont make it better. Just means my family has more money to spend or go out to dinner without me.

Id rather we had some work rules. Seniority in scheduling/seniority in who goes TDY / more time off. No more emails on Friday telling me I'm going TDY on Sunday for 2 weeks.

I'm absolutely burned out of being a pilot with lots of quals, that gets jammed on the schedule. Nearly every AMO pilot I know loves the work, and doesn't mind a crappy day or week doing the mission. But we all need down time. That is where the system is broken What good is the extra money if I'm TDY two weeks, my mandatory days off are in a hotel in south Texas, and when I return to my unit, Im working a night shift.

I should do a survey. Airline pilot vs AMO pilot. How many days did you have dinner with your family last year?

Everyone knows banker hours. M-F 0800-1600. Those are the best hours if you have a family and desire to spend any time with them. Soccer practice, dinner, games on Saturday, etc.

250k a year working M-F 08-16 is the perfect job. That wont happen at AMO if you are a pilot. But seniority should mean something, but it doesn't at AMO. Every single GS-15 in AMO works M-F 0800-1600. Sure, they might stay late sometimes.

I am burned out of having no idea and no control at all over my schedule. ZERO. Its full throttle all year, every year. And then there is a hurricane or a border crisis, and then we just get plain stupid.

Most pilots over 15 years are already at the pay cap because we work nights, weekends and Sundays.

Now we will work crappy hours for free. Free for management. It wont cost them anything to have us work an extra day of overtime, nights or Sundays. It will make life easier for them. Less paperwork managing the branch budget. Now its 166 for everyone, and no premium pay and paperwork to deal with.

So two questions I now ponder. Can they continue to force us to work a 6th day, overtime, even though we are getting no additional compensation? Whats to stop a DAO from scheduling everyone for 1 day of overtime every week? It wont cost him a penny.

Also, who is going to apply for future leadership positions? Anyone with 10 years of service will be at the cap. So it looks likely the only people who will apply for GS14 and 15 will be non-aviators, very junior pilots looking to get a raise early, and aviators who dont like to fly or cant fly. The weak and sick.

I once told my DAO that a handful of senior GS-13 pilots with leadership roles like IP or standards should get 14 pay. Reward our aviation leaders and create incentive for junior pilots to get more quals. He was mad that I even made the comment. That moment made a tremendous impact.

My DAO flat out told me he deserves more money because he sits in an office all day, every day. He has more responsibility he said. Wow! its self perceived responsibility. OMG, somebody wont get paid or respond to all these emails from Eddie Young. Who cares about training new pilots, doing a Mx flight, or actually flying a plane full of passengers. I've been called in on days off to do a Mx flight, to carry some special VIP passenger, to deal with a mishap. I've NEVER seen my DAO come in on his day off because something urgent was happening. Thats how important his job is. Its so important anyone can be a DAO. Doesnt even require a pilots license or CBP experience. We have a BP agent that switched over to AMO and became a 15. He came with zero aviation experience. Not blaming him. Just the system that allows that. Thats like Delta having a travel agent become their chief pilot.

This is how a business fails. Lack of experience at the top, lack of incentive at the bottom and no clear purpose or direction.

Off we go comrade.

I love flying, and spent many years of blood, sweat and tears to get to where I am. Spent money and time away from family to get the pilot credentials I have now. Like I said. Im tired. Time to take my experience someplace that will pay me a good wage, and give me some control over my life. I like working hard, but I have a family too. What good is my pension if Im divorced and my kids hate me or barely know me for the next 7 years.

Thats my rant for today. Sitting in a hotel room, on my day off. Prepping for my airline interview.

manager: manage people, your employees are the enemy
leader: inspires people, to fight a common enemy

Eddie. Its time to retire. Spend it with the family you still have.