Old 05-23-2019, 01:18 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2016

Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
This. All the way.

PIC stands for Pilot In Command. If I'm not the Pilot In Command, I don't log it as PIC. Period. The only possible reason to split hairs about sole manipulator time is to be able to log it, so as to meet some hiring criteria somewhere. Let's not all pretend that isn't why we're having this discussion. You might trick their application screening criteria, but I promise you the interview won't go well when you start in with "well technically I logged it PIC because..."

Log what you want. It's your butt out there. Be smart.
I will stop saying it’s “ technically legal”. It is legal.

Back in 1999 a FAA general Councel statement confirmed if you were appropriately type rated in an aircraft and you were the sole manipulator of the flight control ( Your flying leg) you could log it as PIC. ( That’s black and white) I understand it was beneficial at the time to allow this for part 135/ 91 operations to meet upgrade time and standards for insurability. As I pointed out an FO would never accumulate the PIC time needed with out large financial burden on a company of flying empty planes around. ( And yes a little lobbying money probably helped) However the rule didn’t change as time went on. The airlines (121) created there own system and terminology of what they implied was PIC. It wasn’t law but it was an accepted practice or standard they adopted. Fast forward to 2010ish the law of the land became all carriers need to ATP type rated FO. Once again the logging of PIC when you were sole manipulator of flight controls did not change nor was an updated general Councel put out with regards to it. (( At least I have not seen any from the FAA, however if there is an updated FAA document I’d love to see it)) So the airlines (121) have chosen to be more restrictive to there beliefs which is there right as a private company. They are not violating and laws by doing this. But it in no way is illegal to count that as PIC. I will grant you that a mainline part (121) or maybe NJA would not accept that. All I tired to do was help someone figure out if they met DEC minimums. I hope you understand I have no problem with you interpreting rule as you see fit. But like contracts in the real world it’s up to a judge ( FAA in aviation world) to rule on legalities. And I’m sure some big companies have been told by their lawyers one thing only to have a judge overrule it the next day. Apple/Google/Delta/Trump/Democrats/Facebook/Amazon/Boeing/NFL. Have been wrong and have had to pay the price for being wrong. It may cost me a job at Mainline or it may cost mainline millions in unfair hiring compensation. Also a bad credit check could cost you a job at mainline too.

Last edited by 1212135; 05-23-2019 at 01:41 PM.