View Single Post
Old 05-24-2019, 08:28 PM
No Land 3
Banned

Joined APC: Feb 2017

Originally Posted by Mollot View Post
A few questions from a Kalitta new hire starting class in a couple weeks. Trying to put together a budget for the year ahead. Thank you very much to anyone who can help out with.

1. Training pay is ~$600/wk....is there per diem or not? I saw it mentioned somewhere but another source say it isn't paid.

2. How long does it generally take to get the fam flight scheduled after the checkride so that you can get on normal pay?

3. Monthly guarantee is 64 hours. In reality, how many hours will a guy flying his normal 16 days get, per month? I'll be on the 747-400. I know for the last few years, there was tons of OT, but more recent sources say this has all but dried up. The K4ALPA message was quite helpful on this but I was seeking more current info.

4. Are things like the deadhead before your 16 day work rotation paid above the 64? What about R1 / R2 (reserve?) that you guys were talking about a few pages ago in this thread - is that included in the 64 or above.

5. Any other advice as I get ready to start class? Really looking forward to joining you guys.

Thanks very much for all insights.
I was paid perdiem and training pay if I remember correctly. Some one much newer will need to comment.
Budget for 64 hours plus perdiem. Basically a little over $6000 takehome a month worse case scenario. You'll probably see around 70 hours.
DH, and R pay counts towards your min guarantee. Drug test, CBT's, hazard pay, day off working all count on top of guarantee.
Show up ready to study, remove all distractions from home, study with class mates, go into it expecting a self study regiment. They will not spoon feed you, they expect you to already be a well seasoned pilot who is getting a new type rating. It isn't entry level, don't go into it thinking like it is. Get checked out in the FTD and procedure trainers, book them every day, do not go home for CBT's, do not bring your family with you to YIP and have them stay in your room.(yes, people have done that before)
And most importantly, welcome aboard!