Old 05-30-2019, 03:57 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by 767pilot View Post
So you are saying that people have been dragged into Camp Knoxville without their consent, against their own will? How does that happen without a court order?

I will agree that there has been what some may consider coercion and threats in the past, but I am going to be surprised if you tell me that people have gone in against their ultimate wishes. I'd expect a pretty low success rate from people going in that didn't want to be there, to the point where UPS would not be wrong to refuse to pay for them.
My understanding (from flying with the company HIMS guru)... If a pilot is referred to HIMS, an employer can, should, and will ground them until they at least get an evaluation to confirm or deny a problem. If a problem is confirmed, you would then enter HIMS with full associated protections per your company program. If you don't want to do that, I guess you'll have to fight it out with FAA aeromedical.

If you really don't have a problem, HIMS can determine that too and I assume full back pay would apply. But if you got referred in the first place, you probably exhibited some indiscreet behavior to say the least...

Invasive? Maybe, but it's for the individual's own protection, as well as fellow crew and the public.

At the previous employer, if you got caught, HIMS was still an option at least as far as treatment goes. Whether you got your job back was another thing, also depends on the status of your medical and certs of course. Obviously your prospects are much, much better if you get help before you get caught.