Old 05-31-2019, 07:02 AM
SaltyDog
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Leftof longitudinal

Sidebar distraction:

Technique Only New hires:
Welcome Aboard!
During the excitement of the first two weeks, Start learning how to use the search functions on the company issued EFK (iPad) when you get it issued. You are responsible to study the material contained in this device. Problem is, like anything new electronically presented, takes time to get familiar and then comfortable where items are located and how to find them. Normal.
Despite what told, start looking ahead to get familiar where items are located at first opportunity. Don't need to study procedures' etc, just gain familiarity with where items are in the electronic books and he search capabilities. Which folders contain what materials and references. Example: Know whats in the electronic books in the "Training" folder collection. Which ones give you the info you need.
How is the Aircraft Operations Manual designed (AOM) and items contained in what chapters, Flight Operations Manual (FOM 1 and FOM2). Which ebook in the Training folder has the Syllabus so know what to study the next day.
Where updates to the EFK happens daily (except on weekends) be familiar with the process. Not any reason to not make it through though.
My summary view: Its demanding (but whose training programs aren't?) Time management is important. As pointed out, not new, the eternal axiom of work with your classmates and your sim partner.
The anecdotal experience I'm familiar, its the ones who go it alone, or are single training assigned (rare) that typically have a tougher time because harder to refine the information and reinforce material and get classmate feedback during study time. Classmates/sim partners are good folks to help keep each other on track. Then ask an instructor after can't solve a question.

Prepare your family for a long time away. (Say 6-7 weeks or so) Weekends (days off if have Tues/Wed for example, are really to catch up studying, catch up on sleep, actually eat a relaxing sit down meal, laundry etc). IMO, first weekend go home, then stay for duration if going through a 5 day a week pace. If get delayed... then enjoy some home visits.
IMO, UPS doesn't hire anyone that cant get through. (except me but I had great sim partners,classmates and instructors )
Congrats on UPS!