View Single Post
Old 06-01-2019, 11:53 AM
TacticalMoose
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2018
Default Air Wisconsin still a good choice?

Hey all. Longtime lurker here in the homestretch of ATP hour-building. I’m projecting to have my hours by the end of summer/early fall and am preparing to submit applications and start interviewing. I’m curious what your opinions are of coming to Air Wisconsin at this point.

My situation is that my wife got a job offer in Columbia, SC last year and we moved down here for her work. I was able to switch from my CFI job to a commutable survey gig and moved with her. We now own a house here and will be living here for at least the next 5-10 years. Ever since Air Wisconsin announced their CAE base opening up it seemed like a clear choice against my other options. PSA has CLT but would take a bit of time to get based at and a lot longer to hold a line. Same story with Endeavor and ATL. Nothing else is all that commutable with only one or two flights a day from CAE to all other destinations (except 3 to ORD).

I’m 31 years old and prior-enlisted military so kind of an early career changer. No kids and I’m trying to advance my career as fast as possible right now. The thought of living in base and being able to build hours and upgrade quicker makes Air Wisconsin seem like a pretty solid bet. My only concern is some of the negative discussion I’ve seen (as well as PSA’s recent pay increase) which have made me wonder if choosing Air Wisconsin simply for the CAE base is the right move. The hiring of Binns as CEO appeared to not be the best news and I know that outstation bases in this industry can come and go with little warning.

I’m aware the future is impossible to predict, especially when it comes to regionals. I’m simply wondering what some of you would do in my shoes if you wouldn’t mind chiming in. Thanks a lot for any advice, opinions, or wisdom. It’s greatly appreciated.