View Single Post
Old 06-02-2019, 09:40 PM
kevbo
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2015

The only places with a shortage of help are places you do not want to be. I know that pilots have to take whatever is available and do so because the time has value toward the destination. An A&P has very little more to offer than any other highschool drop out. The cert is too easy to obtain to have any value. None of the highest paying airlines care about a mechanics experience. These are the only companies that come close to paying a living wage. So that is why I.say that working as an A&P is just a temporary gig. I have been told by a Fedx manager that he would not hire an experienced 40y/o mechanic. They recruit box throwers who have the ticket. Major airlines do the same thing with their bag smashers. Delta hired 18y/o kids as fully fledged mechanics. That's all you need to know about the value of an A&P. It's just a little plastic card that checks a box. This is great for a kid but worthless for an adult. Almost any other type of technician or tradesman make more money with far better QOL. On the job market, a middle aged pilot is just hitting his stride. A middle aged A&P is damaged goods. I would slap any kid with potential that spoke of aviation maintenance.

Last edited by kevbo; 06-02-2019 at 10:25 PM.