View Single Post
Old 06-05-2019, 07:11 PM
mexipilot84
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: Gear Handle supervisor

Originally Posted by roflcopter View Post
The only reason I compare Swift to a regional is because when you are at a regional that's a dead end, don't want to commute anymore, still being at the bottom of the totem pole behind all the mainline employees, are ok with MIA, and want to stay out of the cold in the winter, a place like Swift looks like a decent place to go and at least get a better QOL if you're based in MIA or IWA by sleeping in your own bed most nights. So nothing against Swift pilots, as I am interested in possibly becoming one. But I guess if someone wants to be offended by anything that is said to them, they'll be offended by anything that is told to them.

So lets say you put that burned out radar in the book, will they fix it or sign it off as ops check ok over and over, and not even test it, what if multiple people put it in the book. Does the MX Control/Management/CP threaten people who put stuff in the book like that actually needs to be written up? If so give some examples you've seen personally. Or if they get upset at all, is it if people write up something like a burnt out cabin ceiling light at bumble**** FBO just to stick it to the company. Do they promise MIA pilots day trips and 14 days off then make you go on a 6 day trip routinely and only give you 12 days off? Is seniority ignored for bidding days off so lets say you want Christmas or new years off and have the seniority for it, does a guy below you get it? Are FOs really getting passed over for upgrade to a FO junior to them, or are they doing the street captains because they need to balance the ratio a bit before upgrading Swift FOs. If they are getting big classes, seems like the FO side should come up soon.

Once again, I just want to know why this place is so bad nobody at a regional should come to it. It seems like your biggest beef isn't the planes being old or mechanical problems or the bumble**** FBO. It's commuting to MIA and the street captains. Other than that what are your answers to the other questions I've asked.

If the plane is broke write it up. Then it will never be fixed if no one writes it up. MIA is a maintenance station. If anyone tries to carry maintenance items you’re only screwing your self and your brethren. But that happens everywhere, even at regionals. Seems like at the regionals the engines could be falling off but it’s go home day! Nobody is going to fault you for writing things up, I’ve grounded enough acft and still work here, even if it cost canceling a government flight. Unsafe is unsafe, if there’s no MEL or reset then it’s a no go. And if you’re the FO and your CA is doing something that could screw you up, then just remove yourself from that situation. If you let it go then you’re as much at fault as the CA.

All our hard days off are 12. MIA has generally more days off and day trips. They usually have 12-15 off with 4on 4off for the most part. Obviously there could be times they pull you out of MIA to do other trips, generally they don’t like pulling based pilots to do home base flying unless it’s a necessity. Despite what has happened to randomroute, you can pick up trips outside of base. They will fly you to where you need to be. He just got f’ed by some scheduler that doesn’t work here anymore. He had been a problem for many for a while, problem is they’re always short in scheduling, so getting rid of a trained person is tough.

Your schedule is bid on seniority. Just like any airline. The only crappy part is we’re getting so big when you bid vacation we need more slots for different weeks. Like out almost 100 captains there’s only 1 weeks of vacation in Xmas week for everyone to bid. So definitely needs revisiting.

MIA and IWA Pilots generally have the best QOL being home every night. We do have people that live in MIA and are home based, but that’s just their preference. MIA is a unique kind of flying with the Cuban charters, cargo plane and Venezuela flights(going to sdq instead of ccs for now).

Again this place is what you make of it, the systems they have in place are for lack of a better word a mess.... payroll despite the new scheduling system still works off an excel sheet. This is what makes some frustration dealing with problems you have because infrastructure is just not all the way there. Is it better than years ago? Hell yes! I still check on my pay every 2 weeks because I can’t see it anywhere on the computer, so I’m on it to make sure it’s correct. But that’s me I like my check to be right.

It’s not perfect, but provides me a decent quality of life. I like not having to commute, even if I have to prompt scheduling for my tickets, generally I send them what I want and as long as it’s within reason they’ll book it.