View Single Post
Old 06-06-2019, 11:48 AM
salhnl
CFI

Joined APC: Aug 2018
Position: RIGHT

Originally Posted by Boeing Aviator View Post
From talking to my friend most new hires get based in Mid Atlantic and with some time as openings occur (lots of turnover due to upgrades and those moving onto regionals eventually (less ten 6 months my guess) you’ll get it.

Occasionally some do get based in Gulf region right away.
As far as you know (and maybe a question for your friend) if you get a mid-atlantic base (lancaster) with low hours (300) and at 1200 you upgrade, but when the upgrade comes you have to move to Destin. And then another move to say Detroit with Skywest when you get to 1800.

What I am saying is, someone with a family, this is 3 if not potentially 4 moves in a short period of time. This is where the struggle is. I get the QOL will improve, but this experience might be very hard on a family.

Long are the days where I can live in my car or drive wherever I need to. Neither can I leave my family for 1 to 1.5 years at her parents until I get to a Regional. This is the real challenge. Maybe that is were the CFI route might have a better QOL - somewhat...

Will a place like SAE work with their pilots to place them as FO's and upgrade to CA within the same domicile?