View Single Post
Old 06-10-2019, 06:33 PM
sailingfun
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008

Originally Posted by Broncos View Post
Here's one before rotation sign in that I just recently filed. It's more of a "not fit for duty" than "fatigued". On reserve and assigned an international flight with a block of 12 hours with a sign in of 1500ish. Wanting to be as fresh as possible for the trip, I stayed up until 4am the night before, slept 8 full hours, and woke up at 1200. About a minute before I was about to head out the door, I got a call telling me that the flight was delayed and the new report time was 0530 the next morning. Being reserve, they removed the trip from my line, re-ran the trip coverage, and wouldn't you know it, the trip was re-assigned to me. In order to make a 0530 report, I have to leave the house at 0330, which means I have to wake up at 0230. To get 8 hours of rest, I'd have to go to bed at 1830, just 8.5 hours after I woke up from an 8-hour sleep cycle. The other option is not to sleep, which would lead to being awake 17.5 hours prior to a 14-hour duty day. The first option is not realistic. The second option is not safe. It was an easy call.
You have a unusual method for getting ready for a international trip. How do you adapt that to 6,9 or 12 day trips? Did you expect them to pay you for the trip in this situation?