Thread: ORD
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2019, 07:48 PM
dera
In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

Originally Posted by stabapch View Post
It’s possible for any airline to get that approved, but Envoy still hasn’t. The FAA doesn’t discriminate. Do you understand how that works? No worries I’ll fill ya in.

Any type of “enhancements” on a certificate holder’s ops specs generally requires a VERY large fee. In this case a fee that AA would have to foot for Envoy to replace Republic, who they have already flying the same routes. I don’t have the details of the contract that Republic has AA sign (nor does any other line pilot) but I’d be willing to bet that the cost AA pays them to fly these EOW routes is FAR less than what it would take to get Envoy upgraded.

That’s the cost though, but we still need the FAA approval. The FAA will ask Envoy why do you need EOW approval when YX is already flying routes for AA. Envoy will be expected to prove to the FAA that they need EOW in order to further themselves. Because of this the FAA will deny Envoy because this is a privilege that they don’t give to any regional without a unique reason of why they need the privilege. AA already assigned YX those routes.
Wow. I don't even know where to start.
AA "assigns" (stupid word) routes monthly. Their route planning looks at the routes, decides what gauge they need to fly them, and then spreads them out between providers.
Envoy will say "we would like to compete with YX for EOW flying" and that's all FAA needs. The process is trivial, and not that expensive.
You think YX has some sort of monopoly for routes, guess what, they don't. Not a single regional does. That's why flying gets shifted around every month. This month we are taking RAH flying and RAH takes ENY flying, next month it will flip.
The fact that they are accepting heavier airframes means they have a plan. Not a single soul here knows what that plan is.
I'm not going to yell "WE ARE TAKING OVER RAH IN MIA", that's just stupid. I'm guessing it could be more direct routes from DFW to EYW, or perhaps a few new Central America flights. Or whatever, who knows. It's not RAH vs ENY. It's that ENY can easily get EOW, not a big deal.