View Single Post
Old 06-12-2019, 08:36 AM
Blueskies21
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008

Just to put my money where my mouth is; we should have already seen a memo addressing what equipment codes we should see the flight strips edited to.

For example a normal equipment code is M-SDE2E3FGRVW for a 200, or PQ 900 and M-SDE2E3FGIRVW for an XJ 900. With just the GPS failure, you should see the G and R removed to be M-SDE2E3FVW. PBN and RNAV coding should be likewise modified to indicate a lack of terminal RNAV ability. When these codes aren't modified ATC will automatically reroute you to an RNAV route when you request the PDC, which results in additional delays trying to get back to an non-RNAV route.

All routing should be over jet routes and victor airways (the dispatchers have been filing direct VOR to VOR, which is fine but jet routes and airways provide more situational awareness).

I could go on for awhile about the guidance we should have already seen to assist the average line pilot and dispatcher navigate this situation but I won't.

Maybe we'll get something more comprehensive before the problem resolves itself on Saturday night and we declare victory on the crisis.