View Single Post
Old 06-12-2019, 02:08 PM
BMEP100
Banned

Joined APC: May 2014
Position: Tom’s Whipping boy.

Age 55 retirement was my plan.... in the 80’s. Then reality set in with more kids, (how does that happen!???), 05 pension freeze, ‘08 market crash, and the realization that I still like going to work (so does my wife-she married me for life, not lunch).

I turn 65 next year and if had to quit today, I wouldn’t be destitute. I just like doing the job, and from most every F/O I get feedback from-they like having me around, especially when it gets ugly like when I made the decision to divert early when many others later where “MIN FUEL!!!”. They said “how’d you know?” I’m no Steve Canyon, just an experienced aviator and pretty avg guy. Although I will say from looking at many of my F/O’s, I’m pretty sure I could take most in the 40 meter, ropes course or, math rodeo. I was an athlete in school.

Somebody mentioned special carveouts for a few older pilots whose cognitive abilities have declined some. How about the carveouts for the AAA pilots who couldn’t make it through a PC, or a LOE but have been passed along any way due to gender or some other physiological considerations? There are a few who cause me not to sleep in the bunk.

Let’s be honest and put this in the context most under 60 think of first, just like I am now. Whose ox gets gored.

There were plenty chicken Littles last time the age question came up, who were proven wrong. The premise hasn’t changed.

For those who like to worry about what might happen, the best thing you can do for yourself is, take better care of your body and mind, so you can make it to 67, 68, 70 whatever.. If you just don’t like the job, do us all a favor and leave now.