Speed, Power, Accuracy
GeeWizDriver
Speed, Power, Accuracy
close
  • Joined APC
    Sep 2007
  • Position
    PIC
Quote: I’ve read all 4 pages of this thread, and you haven’t really stated or confirmed what your end goal is. Do you ultimately see yourself pursuing a Major/Legacy job? Is that what you want?

Or are you just happy flying whatever aircraft it is that gives you the best QOL.

I am sensing that you have no interest in getting a 4 year degree and are trying to find a “good/better” job so you can justify not getting the degree. There is nothing wrong with that. If you really don’t want to get the degree, considering a job at Flexjet is probably a smart move.

I’ve never worked in the fractional world but I spent a couple years flying a Falcon 20, which doesn’t give me any street cred with regard to this advice, but others have said “go to netjets instead”. Maybe use FJ as a stepping stone until NJ calls.

If your end goal IS a Major/Legacy airline...then stay right where you’re at. You aren’t going to get there, most likely, without a 4 year degree, so you’ll have some work to do. But I promise you, the juice is worth the squeeze. Buckle down and start researching online degrees. There is a wealth of information on this very forum about getting a 4 year degree online. Several schools even give you credit hours for the certificates and rating already in your wallet. You’re going to have to work for it though, and having the opportunity to explain to an interview board how you worked hard on layovers to get your degree while working full time will be a great way to show them what they’re getting if they hire you.

I hope I’m wrong, but one of your comments sounded like you don’t want to go through all that though. If not, nothing wrong with that. I loved flying the Falcon 20. What a bullet of an airplane. But every day I was there, I couldn’t wait another day for my furlough recall to happen. Like others have said, filing flight plans, stocking the aircraft, cleaning it, coordinating catering, ordering fuel, cleaning lavs, loading bags, etc. etc. adds a lot to your day,and not knowing where you’re going and when, from one hour to the next, might be much more difficult to deal with than you think.

One of my biggest gripes when I was flying corporate/pilot service/135 was not knowing I was off that day, until the day ended. I don’t know if that makes sense, and at a fractional, that won’t be a problem. They have actual schedules. If you do like the Airline job, but it’s just not working for you now, or you’re not where you wanted to be at this point in your life, take a deep breath. Give yourself a time out or a cooling off period. It’ll get better. I’ve been at my gig for 20 years and am just over 7000 on the seniority list. In the next 5 years, I’ll be in the 3000-4000 range. In other words, I’ll move up the list multiples faster in the next 5 years than the previous 20. It’s going to be an unprecedented, historical time of movement and good times for pilots for the next 5-10 years.

I can’t help you with your decision about Flexjet, because I never worked there, but you’ve gotten some quality responses on here from both sides of the spectrum. Don’t get too hung up on $100K a year. You’ll be close to that when you upgrade, and if you work 1-2 extra days a month as an FO, you’ll do ok for now too. Pick up enough hours that you’re busting your ass 17-18 days a month for a month or two, and if you think that’s too much work, that’ll represent a month at a fractional.

Feel free to pm me if you need anymore motivation to stick with the regional job. But if the fractional path is truly what you want to do, go for it. Just listen to the advice you’ve gotten from those on here that responded to you and make the best decision you can.

Good luck to you!
Aaaaaandddd, what HE said too.