View Single Post
Old 06-15-2019, 10:20 AM
ShyGuy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005

Originally Posted by JohnBurke View Post
It's a bit like not verifying the fuel upload. I see most look at the fuel indication and if it matches what's wanted, the crew is happy. It seems to be a lost basic that one should look at the previous ending fuel, fuel upload, add them and note any discrepancy that isn't explained by APU burn, etc. Simply things, but important, and should be done every time.
Assuming one has an ability to do that. When I walk on the plane and it's already fueling, I have no way to know what the previous flight's remaining fuel was. If I get on the plane and it hasn't fueled yet, I can see the current FOB is the previous flight arrival fuel. However, after my fueling is done I don't know how many gallons are added. The electronic fuel slip delivered on ACARS only shows the paperwork required FOB.

Before the merger, our own airline delivered fuel slips that showed previous arrival fuel and gallons added and I would do that math just like you said to verify it. It was actually part of the our procedures. Not anymore. I don't see how that can be done now, we just don't get that info anymore. SOPs call to 'only' verify the FOB on the screen.

As for jamming issues: while there may come a time when ground based navaids or gone, that time is not today. I've never been an advocate of an all-eggs-in-one-basket approach, and am not today. There are locations, of course, that rely only on RNAV and GPS for approaches, arrivals, departures, etc, but when operating IFR to such locations, good airmanship dictates having options that do use ground based navaids, including alternates in mind. It's been mentioned that these concerns are chiefly for general aviation aircraft. Again, good airmanship dictates having a plan B.

It's possible to paint one's self into a box. Don't do that.

I also fly general aviation, sometimes in aircraft with no nav systems; it's either charts or a handheld GPS (and charts); with loss of GPS, then it's pilotage and dead reckoning.

The latter two still work. If one insists on going IFR, and has only RNAV capability, then we're back to good airmanship, which means having a plan to get to VMC and to fly visually.
Well stated