Thread: Part 121 or 135
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2019, 07:52 AM
Fonzo
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2019
Default Thank you so much

Originally Posted by Macjet View Post
As a former 135 jet guy, former NetJet guy, and current Spirit pilot I think my background and experience are relevant.

If you want to work for an airline then go to an airline. Working for any 135/91k will delay your progress and seniority. I'm junior to guys at Spirit who went the 121 regional route even though I've been at this longer than they have. Adding a 135/91/91k to your resume now is nothing more than a pause button.

In our training program the 135/91 have to highest failure rates. Period. The 91k guys (we have a lot of ex Netjets and Citation Shares) do better but still not as good as their regional counterparts. It isn't that they can't do it but they haven't been doing it. The regional guys have been doing the same thing, to the same airports, to nearly the same gates. They are ahead of the game and I'd much rather have a former regional guy as my FO than a 135/91/91k/DOD/MIL. It isn't impossible to get to a higher plane, double entendre intended, but it will be harder.

Southwest has been hiring a lot of NJA guys but it isn't a 'leg up' to go work there. You'd have a much faster track if you went to any regional versus NetJets.

American is hiring 99.5% from .MIL and flow throughs only. Unless your dad has pics of someone doing something they shouldn't I'd go to the best regional with a flow if AA is your objective.

Delta has a big hard on for Skywest, girls, transanything, and .MIL.

I don't know anyone who wants to work for United so I have no input on that one.

Spirit isn't as 135/91 friendly as we used to be but Frontier is still favorable to them. We're turning away some very qualified people right now and I just don't see how SIC Citation time will benefit you at all. Working for Netjets was detrimental to my career track that put me a decade behind other pilots. Unless you want a lifetime of working to death in a Phenis then I'd recommend anywhere but there or one of their similars.
Thank you so much for the info my friend, very helpful