View Single Post
Old 06-22-2019, 08:47 AM
Macjet
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: Airplanes

Originally Posted by 86BravoPapa View Post
If you feel like he was spot on with his response, sounds like you might need a new line of work, too. Of course it's a job. I've had manual labor jobs, customer service jobs, and corporate jobs prior to making it in aviation after a 10 year hiatus completing my ratings due to the recession and family obligations. In every industry there are the bitter ones, the ones that have made peace with doing whatever job they're in, the ones that never knew any other line of work, and the ones that were fortunate enough to find what they love and lucky enough to do it for a living. 121 might be better, 135/91 might be better. But pay, QOL, and the 'suck factor' of tasks, outside the cockpit, that come with each type of flying are entirely subjective to every individual.

I've spoken to many 91/135 pilots that would never even consider leaving they're job for 121 and I've probably spoken to just as many 121 pilots that feel the exact opposite. Everyone of their situations were different and the motivators that drove them to their type of flying were different.

Besides that, how was it helpful since it pertained to absolutely nothing about my original question?
A new line of work? Yes, let me leave a job that pays $23,ooo+ a month and gives me 16 days off to start over at something new. I'm not bitter nor do I hate my job. But I'm also not wet behind the ears and Jonesing to get my hands on that sweet new Garmin XXX. I do my job then go home and maximize my time with my family.

As to your question, there is no 135 progression. It's a dead end path and filled with those who can't move on and will freely give excuses as to why 121 'isn't for them'. I've been involved in .mil aviation, the best and worst of 135, 91, 91k, and I was the guy operating your sim at your last biz jet training center. I just about seen and heard every option and excuse in this business. 135 is like a *****; use it for what you need and move on.

There's a reason why the overwhelming majority of guys fly 121. It pays the most money, with the most days off, and the most flexibility. There's only one 91 flight department that I'd even remotely consider working for but the location sucks. And there isn't a single 135 I'd ever consider as more than a stepping stone to something better.

Those who can work for a major 121 and those who can't will give you every excuse under the sun as to why it 'isn't for them'. You're still new and full of **** and vinegar. Once you get more than a few months under your belt and a little more seasoned you'll see this industry for what it is and how you can maximize your earning potential and QOL. This isn't a sprint, it's a marathon. And a lot of us have a lot more laps in than you do and it isn't the unicorns, rainbows, and oh golly jeepers a new AOPA magazine that you still think it is. Airplanes are expensive to buy and even more expensive to operate. This industry has more examples of failures than successes and many here have rode those failures into the ground and started over. And more than once. There's a lot of wisdom here on this board if you can filter it out and smart enough to heed some occasional advise.