View Single Post
Old 06-23-2019, 07:55 AM
pilotgolfer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2007
Position: A320 Captain

Originally Posted by BAe3100FO View Post
I posted this a few times on FDX and UAL threads and cut and paste to several (5-6) dudes looking to go in either direction. This was a year ago AND I still thank the Good Lord that I had this opportunity. I was one of the lucky ones that didn’t get stuck in the 757 ( most new hires are put in that airframe) That is truly the mule of the FDX fleet and is essentially doing the old 727 stuff... multi-legs, almost exclusively at night and a lot of smaller uncontrolled fields in or near mountainous terrain. But FDX has its perks and it’s a solid company. Glad I got to experience it, as I had always thought it was my dream job. (Once I actually got to do it, I quickly discovered there are better flying options out there - FOR ME and my family)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAe3100FO
Just a copy and paste from my post from earlier - for those that are still considering a leap, in either direction:

BAe3100FO , Today 08:48 PM

I had the blessing to be hired at both FDX and UAL. Ended up in the pool at UAL for a bit and FDX called and offered an interview and subsequently a class date 27 days later... UAL had no time frame for when they’d ever call for a class so, I did the right thing in my head... took the class at FDX.

Honestly, gave it a real attempt to love FDX, but man those multi-leg night hub turns into Memphis only to sit for 3+ hours and then go back out to LAX (pick a place) at 2:45am and then try to sleep at 7:30am and show at 9pm later that day... GODBLESS!!! That flying isn’t fun. ( I hear all the time of guys/gals claiming of never flying at night - yet how does FDX have 80%ish of their departures from Memphis at 2am -4am every night except Monday happen???
It’s not just the night flying - it’s more the sit during ones circadian low that makes it so tough for the body and then try to drink enough coffee and free popcorn at the AOC to make you safe to operate and complete the mission.

And then there’s the fact that a big portion of the MD-11 fleet doesn’t have real crew rest facilities....yup, international flight 9+ hours ... you get to sleep on the galley floor on a lounge chair pad about 2” thick and then comes the clear air turbulence - enjoy trying to get your crew rest bro!

Oh and don’t forget to make sure to make the captains special fish dinner just right ( because you have to cook it just right in the galley oven that you have - wait for it - ZERO TRAINING ON - how to cook said such food) but it’s ok, they’ll just eat your CORKY’S dinner if you mess it up and let you have their dinner instead. But honestly it wasn’t even that that did it for me... I just took that as typical new guy hazing and laughed and said “thank you sir, may I have another “

But what really got to me, is when I got to the point that my body was so jacked up that I’d bring a “do no disturb” sign from a hotel and put it outside the guest room door when I got home from a week of Reserve or a crappy week of night hub turns and tell my wife and kids DO NOT WAKE
ME UNLESS THE HOUSE IS ON FIRE!!! And damn near mean it!

~ 18+ hours later I’d be ok, but I slept thru my daughters recital or gymnastics meet. And the feelings of guilt never would make up for the fact that in just a few months I’d be making “HUGE MONEY “ on 2nd year pay... at what point does quality of life trump that big pay check that all us pilots soo desperately work for???

WELL for me it took a look around and to run into folks I knew and used to work with, that were happy to go to work and fly vs those that looked tired, grumpy and overall just not healthy and I knew the choice I had to make.

Money/pensions can’t buy quality of life during the most important years of your life!

- I enjoy flying again and especially the sunrise!!!

For each person, there is your own choice - no one can tell you what’s right for you... just know I’ve lived it and it wasn’t for me.

One day we’ll all look back and know we made the right decision - but for now make one that is for family and health vs money and first-class dead heads (are you with your family during that time?)
I was going to relay a similar story from a guy I just flew with...then I realized...it was probably you!