Old 06-24-2019, 04:55 PM
whalesurfer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2013

Originally Posted by Flyinhigh View Post
The author of this article is a 2012 graduate of Washington and Lee University with a degree in journalism. She has worked at Bloomberg writing M&A articles since 2015. On the other hand Fred Smith started a logistics company over 40 years ago and has had some success in that field. You be the judge.
The way I see it, she’s actually agreeing with Fred’s decision of shedding Amazon’s airside shipments. I think the title of her article implies “we’ve been telling you Amazon is a threat to you all along”. Maybe I’m misunderstanding it but that’s how I read it.

She might have different views on how to handle the freed up volume space, lowering shipping prices versus downsizing the fleet, but I’m certain Fred knows what he’s doing.

The main question is if ups should follow suit and break off this brown-prime co-competition? Why? ..because it’s a parasitic marriage of convenience which, as all bad marriages, is doomed to fail.

Today we’re helping them grow their business for some short term gains knowing they’ll hurt our business in the long term. Why are we doing that? ..because the way I and many others see it, current leadership’s focus is the dividend and other short term gains. The brand’s future is not even on their agenda.

What say you?