View Single Post
Old 06-28-2019, 07:01 PM
TikkleMe
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2019

Originally Posted by mexipilot84 View Post
These guys have to do their own taxes, they’re paying all their own medicals, etc. So when it comes down to it they’re not making more than us. Their per diem is lower. If they chose the far away hotel they have to get themselves to work, not company paid. So talking to one of the American contract guys he’s making a crapload less than I am and his expenses are a lot higher too. They have to pay to bring their families over, where swift pilots can do it on company paid tickets.
They certainly are making more, and if they are working as contractors-with good accountants, they can certainly write-off more than the standard deduction(if they are even paying US taxes). I didn’t even realize they were earning a per diem, so that adds to that $15,000+ figure. As for your pay, I would expect YOU to earn more because you have been at the company for a while, and I guess you could also say that you earn a “crapload” more than the typical Swift Captain and First Officer. As with any airline, especially an ACMI- no carrier I know of provides positive space or purchased seat travel for family members. That’s a moot expense decision like choosing the expensive Gouda over the store brand cheddar.

How is a swift pilot bypassed? How can you bypass a position we’re not even staffed for? You suggesting we upgrade FOs, hire contract FOs and then downgrade all those FOs again after the summer? We’re short pilots look at the seniority list. 177 pilots. We required 60 pilots in PRG alone. With the current staffing this would be impossible. Do the numbers..... as I mentioned earlier it’s do this or park 5 airplanes. I don’t know about you but I’ve been furloughed enough times, I don’t want to be back in the unemployment line. My kids need food on the table.
The bypass comes from the hiring of expatriate labor? It’s quite obvious Mexi. You can’t be so short that you need contract labor-while at the same time being so over staffed that you may furlough-while at the same time expanding the fleet. This is math that doesn’t add up. That ‘my kids need food on the table’ is pretty amazing. As if the people that hire as F/O’s don’t have families. As long as these contract guys get some work. But, I know, you are just one of the ‘good guys’.

In other news....

Looks like company wants to remove the incentive bonuses and integrate them into a pay raise instead. Not sure on timeline. . .

. . .They said looking for a330 pax acft to expand into acmi heavy market. I’m assuming for DOD or European carriers. Timeline unknown as certification and proving runs take time. No integrated flying so if you’re on the bus, you only fly the bus. Seat locks involved for those who move is the plan.
So expect the raise around the time these unicorn A330’s show up? If the operation can’t be staffed right now, how will it be staffed with 7-9 pilots per airplane for long haul flying? But, before that we have adding a new type to the certificate, manual inspection, table top excercises, aircraft inspection, initial cadre training time, the fed rides, parts warehousing, maintenance programs, and then the competition of bidding for the contracts(if even awarded one).

The only upside to this is plenty of expats from the mid-east with heavy Airbus time. Seems like a never - ending circle jerk.