View Single Post
Old 04-16-2006, 07:57 AM
calcapt
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: 737 Captain

I was prior Navy (F-14) and won't get into the bragging rights thing but if I were advising a young man today I would say USAF is the way to go. The six month cruises on the boat are hard on families. The Air Force is a more civil place to work and they have some awesome airplanes. When we used to fly cross country we would always stop at AF bases for the night because their facilities were always so much better than ours. When the Navy built Naval Air Stations they would go out and build a nice runway and then run out of money. They would then ask DOD for more money to build nice facilities which they never got. The Air Force on the other hand would start first by building beautiful facilities and approach DOD for more money to put in a runway. They always got that money! I guess it proves the Air Force is smarter in that respect. Coast Guard is another good option because of their unique mission but I honestly do not know enough about it to make a case. A friend was there and flew C-130s and had a lot of good things to say about it. The Navy is good training but a hard life; but, those F-14 night carrier operations make for some good stories.... and bragging rights! Good Luck.....

Last edited by calcapt; 04-16-2006 at 09:20 AM.