View Single Post
Old 06-30-2019, 01:26 AM
ocskyguy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2016
Position: Old and Unemployed

Originally Posted by No Land 3 View Post
I'm thinking of rental properties, additional sources of income I can continue to do beyond age 65. 401K is nice but not enough
As one who has navigated this corner of the industry for almost 40 years, I have a bit of advice (I know you are just hanging on the straps in anticipation...)

Make an effort every check to sit some aside. For your younger folk that is a tough choice with kids to care for. But, if you just do it now, it will pay off in spades up the road.

Our industry has had a turbulent past and will likely have a turbulent future. The fatted cow is here at the moment, but next week it could be an emaciated hulk. Invest in your future when you have the $ to do so. You can let the car go for one more year and put the full ride in your 401. And, just for giggles, throw another 10% in an investment account. Or, buy a rental property and let your tenants pay the mortgage for you. End game, free house to sell.

The real take for you youngins' is to plan for the eventual pendulum turn. It is for sure gong to happen in your career.

Just sayin'...