Thread: Automation
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2019, 05:48 PM
flensr
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2015

Don't worry about automation taking your job, I don't think that'll happen in our lifetime. I would suggest however studying something at school that could complement any flying experience to help you get a desk job later on as a plan B in case you lose your medical. Not just for you specifically, I think everyone ought to have a plan B. For example, I know some people work on airfield management, human factors, software engineering, etc etc., because all of those specific areas when matched with real world experience in aviation can lead straight to a mid-level job without having to spend years in a truly entry level position. At the very least, an airline pilot can claim experience as a small team leader and supervisor to jump a couple years up the hiring ladder when pursuing a non-flying career when they're done flying. So don't waste your time in school, get whatever degree you want but take some classes in associated fields that could get you acquainted with a variety of areas you could fall back on if flying doesn't work out long term.