View Single Post
Old 07-06-2019, 11:07 AM
kevbo
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2015

Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
I see. You’re saying that the social caste associated with being an A&P restricts their options outside of being a mechanic without further education. I took it as mechanics being inherently less capable. But your point was the ones that remain mechanics for long usually don’t have options for other reasons. If that’s the case I apologize for calling your post arrogant.
Yes, I'm saying that aviation maintenance is generally a lower form of work than any other blue collar trade. On average the location, scedule, and pay is below other trades. I think this happens because of the complex system that dictates and limit exactly what an aircraft mechanic can do. This system of strict control and oversight destroys a persons ability to learn and grow. It removes all dignity from the job and keeps it at an extremely low level of skill. The knowledge requirements for an A&P are extremely low and the experience requirement is basically a free way for insiders to get the cert. I've experienced aviation maintenance first hand and want everyone to know that it's NOT what you think it is. Aviation maintenance could be the top tier blue collar trade if standards for entry were high. Unfortunately it has been over controlled and dumbed down to a level below fast food. I tend to sound negative on maintenance because the effects of easy entry are extremely negative. The situation has been grim for a long time and it's not difficult to move on. The cream doesn't rise, it leaves the industry leaving a cesspool behind. I'll never say all mechanics are dumb or in any way lesser people. I Just can't understand why anyone would stay knowing how easy it is to simply leave for greener grass. There must be a reason.

Last edited by kevbo; 07-06-2019 at 11:33 AM.