View Single Post
Old 07-06-2019, 07:56 PM
Junkyard Dog
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2014
Position: RJ CA (does it really matter)

Originally Posted by IDriveJets View Post
Why would you not recommend Air Wis? I ask because I am sending out multiple applications. I know the regional world is "pick your poison" so to speak and a stepping stone to the future but it would help to know someone's inside perspective. I've heard from people that Air Wis is great and I've heard from others to stay away.
I am no longer at Air Wisconsin. A really good corporate job fell in my lap. I enjoyed my time there. Air Wisconsin is like all other regionals out there. It has its quirks. Every problem AWAC has, every other regional has as well. Training dept issues? I’ve heard it’s the same everywhere. The regionals are not exactly a utopia. They are designed to be stepping stones onto the majors. Management doesn’t want people staying there too long because then they have to pay them more. To them, it’s more cost effective to turn over and train new employees than to retain them. I’ve been friends with one or two instructors from the training dept and they all tell me the same thing. They’ve seen guys and gals show up unprepared and some show up prepared. They don’t want to work with those who are not prepared as it’s wasting their time. As for the staffing issues, extensions and junior mans? Happens everywhere else. Could be worse when some carriers make captains fly as FOs. AWAC doesn’t do that.
The regionals are what you make of it. If you decide to live in base, then life is great and you’ll enjoy a wonderful QOL. If you commute, it can be stressful and aggravating as flights are perpetually full, delayed and cancellations are abundant.
AWAC has a good health insurance program as I only paid $15 copay when each of my children were born.
If you want to work there, just be prepared when you go into training and lie low and stay under the radar.