Old 07-07-2019, 11:23 AM
JoePatroni
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2009

Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
I'm from the early 60's and that certainly wasn't my pathway. I didn't start out at UAL and I have heard what you are saying about the private pilot stuff; I never actually saw that any where. I don't think that really happened except maybe in some extreme case for some very abbreviated window.
When I hired on at TWA (as a Flight Test Manuals clerk in 63 as a licensed pilot), a Flight Engineer at PanAm averaged 9 years to get in to the right seat. I know where the water is; mostly in the mid altitudes where i doubt you ever spent much time.
Later (late 60's) many were granted LOA's to fly for (JCA) "Jesus Christ Airlines"; in the Biafran Airlift. Connies in to Africa at night. Just to be clear, I was not a military pilot (these were not military flights). These were the kinds of experience many brought to the airlines.
But none of it will hold your place at the gate, ha.
And you are still an active employee; wow, after you sir.
You have no idea what I’ve done in my career so keep swinging and missing. You’re asking to get on ahead of someone who has more years of service than you have, that’s not going to happen. Ever. Deal with it.

A guy who flew the space shuttle doesn’t get preference either.