View Single Post
Old 07-08-2019, 08:12 AM
ecam
Banned

Joined APC: May 2017

Originally Posted by navy1998 View Post
Hey all, current regional, former miltary guy here. Just dropped my app but wanted to see if being a commuter is even a possibility. I live in FL (Tampa area) so ultimately want PIE, but PGD and SFB are also manageable for the interim. If I miraculously get hired or even an interview, I know chances of me getting one of those is slim so just want to go in with the right mindset. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
This is not a commuting airline. We fly almost completely day trips on an am/pm pattern. That means either very early departures or very late arrivals. Expect to work 3-5 days per week with 3 blocks of 2 days off 2 blocks of 3 days off or 1 block of 6 days off per month. Isolated days off are common. You will need an apartment or room to rent wherever you are based. Most crash pads don't want us living there all the time and many of our bases are in places where there are no other airlines so crash pads are hard to come by anyhow. We have some true commuters but I think most of them view this airline as temporary. Some of them are stuck in a base they didn't want at the end of the last hiring wave. If you try to commute long term you probably won't be happy here. If you decide this airline is for you after working here for a few months pick a base and move there.