View Single Post
Old 07-09-2019, 02:05 PM
JulesRav
On Reserve

Joined APC: May 2019

Originally Posted by MostlyHarmless View Post
Are you near DEN? Have you considered trying to get into Boutique in a non flying role first?

When I was with the company, I flew with an FO who had done that. If I remember correctly, when he started as an FO he had a good bit less than 500hrs. I think they may be hiring for dispatch and crew scheduling.

If you're looking to go straight 121, scheduling or dispatch experience may not be very useful. But if you're not sure that the airlines is exactly where you're going, than some sys ops experience could make you useful/interesting for other 135 operations you may look to fly for.

From what I understand, the work can be stressful and the hours can be crappy. You'll get to deal with pilots all over the country. Often those conversations will be pleasant and professional. Sometimes you'll get to disappoint them. But you'd get a fascinating introduction into how a small airline operates. And the view from the office offers a terrific view of the mountains and the airport.
I’m pretty sure I’m going 121. The problem with an ops job that will pay $14/h is that childcare costs me $17/h. 😣. Plus 1 hour commute each way. I’m sure it would be fun and educational but it isn’t feasible at this point for me. Now if it were a $14/h flying job or a big commute for flying I would most definitely consider it and try to somehow make it work because of flight hours. I worked at an FBO for 9 months and made minimum wage. It only worked because I worked Sats only and my hubby took over those days otherwise I would have to pay to work.

Thank you so much for the info btw!! I really appreciate it!