View Single Post
Old 07-09-2019, 05:29 PM
pinseeker
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2006

Originally Posted by StillFlying View Post
I do like the cash over cap aspect. But, I think, both cash over cap and an increased B fund, does two of the things people are rallied against in this thread recently.

1) Puts the predominance of risk into the pilots' hands
2) It becomes all about the "pancakes". Your retirement nest egg becomes more weighted toward your salary and the sooner you make more money, the sooner you invest more money.

And a question for the masses, because I don't know and couldn't find it with a quick scan of Section 28. If someone is out on disability, are there any "eligible prior monthly earnings" that the company calculates for B Fund/PRSP contributions?

You're missing the fact that we keep the DB plan, so only a portion of your retirement is tied to the market.

As far as B fund contributions while on disability, I believe the answer is no, you don't get company contributions. Before you say that is the same as no disability contributions with the VB plan, you have to remember that the B plan is only a portion of the retirement. If you get nothing while on disability with the VB plan, then you get no retirement benefit at all. Our current plan doesn't work that way.

It's been 9 months since the NC sent our proposal to the company. I'm sure that they haven't come to us to negotiate this because the company is working on ways to improve the proposal for our benefit.