Old 07-10-2019, 09:17 AM
hdgbug
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2018

Originally Posted by LLWS09R View Post
I think most pilots are under the impression sooner or later WUP will bring all operational control in house using the bought certificate. The question is do they retain the GAMA compensation package to retain the flight crews? I doubt a pilot cares what name is on the pay check as long as the paycheck is for the same amount. Then does WUP retain same working conditions for pilot or revert back 14hour days because it’s legal to do so under current part 135 regulations.
This.

WUP execs have said that they aren't leaving Gama. However, the contract renews every year. I doubt anything will change during the contract period, but WUP has the opportunity to walk away from Gama every year. Everyone saying it would be impossible to switch operators is wrong. It would certainly be challenging, but with planning, doable. If WUP was serious about staying with Gama long term, they would sign a multi year contract. Until then, we are only safe (sort of) for a year at a time.

My biggest concern currently is can Gama retain crews. We are losing a lot of pilots recently from what I've heard. Some going to the majors, but I think most going to better compensating competitors. Is WUP willing to negotiate with Gama to increase the compensation package in some way to keep pilots here? Or now that they have their own certificate that they have more control over, will Gama be seen as disposable if costs are deemed too high and thus Gama loses the ability to negotiate?